Saturday 15 October 2016

Sourdough Starter Care

I was recently given some sourdough starter as a housewarming present - I'm stll experimenting with the best loaf recipe to use it in, but James Morton's basic recipe seems to work fairly consistently if you're looking for one to try.
My first attempt... need to work on the crumb

In terms of looking after your starter, it's dead easy! I keep mine in a kilner jar in the fridge and feed it once a week, usually on a Saturday as that's when I tend to bake.

So, for it's weekly feed:
- 100g starter (use the rest for a loaf, give to a friend, or discard)
- 100g flour (I use breadflour as it's what I have the most of)
- 100g water

Mix the above together, then leave to stand (uncovered) for a few hours at room temperature until it's bubbling again. Then back into the kilner jar for another week, or until you need to use it.

Simple!

Happy Baking,

The Baking Ginger x

No comments:

Post a Comment